While working on a client environment recently, I tried to setup a new Active Directory Connection to synchronize user profiles. However every time I set it up when it displayed the domain OU’s in the picker at the bottom I could not expand them. So I selected all for now and then pressed OK, to then after quite a long time it error on a timeout.
“The operation was aborted because the client side timeout limit was exceeded”
So I deleted the User Profile Service and recreated it, to find the same issue occurred every time no matter which account I used. To resolve the problem you need to perform the following steps:
1. From a run command type “gpedit.msc”
2. Navigate the following path:
3. You need to then select the following item:
4. You will need to set the value to “None”
5. My advice is to read the Microsoft article and then ensure this is what you want to do in your environment.
6. From a command prompt run “gpupdate /force”
7. Once completed you need to reboot the server.
Once the server was rebooted with this setting the OU Picker worked and the synchronization connection was saved and the profile import worked perfectly.